Friday, September 13, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza Crust



Ok. So if you are a pinterest addict like I am, then you have seen the recipes for Cauliflower Pizza Crust. I was totally skeptical. I mean, I love me some cauliflower, but how would it hold up? would it actually be like a crust? how would it taste? So many questions!

Then the other day, Hill text me saying that the pizza place outside of his office smelled really good. I knew then, that I had to make pizza soon.

I looked over several recipes for this cauliflower crust. Some of them included almond meal, cheese, microwaving the cauliflower, various other ingredients. Some reviews of the recipes said they were awful and they wouldn't ever try them again.

I got scared.

So I decided to look at it like I do with any recipes I create. I think about the components. 1.) It has to stick together 2.) It has to taste good 3.) It has to get crispy 4.) It has to be clean.

The end result was a crust that tasted really good! It wasn't completely free of cauliflower taste, but it wasn't all up in yo face either. It held together well, especially after it cooled. And it took less time to make than the regular pizza dough that I made for my parents who were having dinner with us that night!

Cauliflower Pizza Crust
1 medium cauliflower
1 whole egg and 1 egg white
1/3c. mozzarella cheese (this is for flavor, and the slight fat content created a crispy edge)
2 TBS fresh parsley
Salt & pepper to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder

-Coarsely chop the cauliflower into chunks. Pulse in a food processor until it has the texture of sand
-Put the ground cauliflower into a pan, with a lid and steam the cauliflower until it is cooked. This was about 5mins for me on medium heat
-After the cauliflower is cooked, put it into a tea towel or cheese cloth and squeeze out all of the water. I think I got about a cup of water out of my cauliflower.
-Return the cauliflower back to the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients and pulse to combine.

-Preheat oven to 450. Preheat your pizza stone. If you don't have a pizza stone, you can use a cookie sheet.
-On a piece of parchment paper, place your cauliflower dough. With your hands, pat it out into a circle. You don't want it to be too thick or too thin. Mine was probably about an 1/4" thick. Maybe slightly less.
-Place the parchment into your preheated oven on the pizza stone.
-Cook for about 10mins, until it is just starting to brown.
-Remove from the oven, add your toppings, and then return to the oven until it is GBD (golden, brown, delicious) and everything is melty.
-Let the pizza rest for about 2 mins after it comes out of the oven, or it wont hold like a slice of pizza (no lies, I couldn't wait, and just ate mine with a fork!)

Makes 1 Pizza
Serving size 1 slice (1/4 pizza)
The skinny Per Serving-
Total Fat- 4.5g Carbs- 3.0g Protein- 6.8g Calories- 76.6

The pizza I made was an Artichoke-Basil Pesto with Goat Cheese, Caramelized Onions, Sun Dried Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives & Balsamic Drizzle

Artichoke-Basil Pesto
1c. Fresh Basil Leaves
1 can of Artichoke Hearts packed in Water
2 TBS olive oil

-Put all ingredients into a food processor. Blend until smooth. Season with salt & pepper.

Makes about 3 1/4c. Servings
The Skinny per Serving
Total Fat- 4.5g Carbs- 2.1g Calories- 51.6 Protein .8g



No comments:

Post a Comment