Thursday, September 12, 2013

Salmon & Lentils



I am always looking for new ways to have salmon as it is our favorite. The Hubbs was out for a soccer game so it gave me some time to experiment in the kitchen without the pressure of getting dinner on the table in a hurry.

I knew I wanted to use lentils and dill as I had them readily available and they sounded good. So I made this super delicious lentil salad. It has a tartness from the Dijon and lemon juice, a sweetness from the carrots and dill, and a nice play on textures.

I wanted to Salmon to work with the salad as a cohesive dish, so I thought bringing out a spicy/smokey quality would play off of the tart/sweet lentil salad. The salmon literally could not be easier. Pan seared with a dusting of cayenne pepper and finished with a smoked salt.

The end result was the 2 things I look for most in a dish:1.) Super Delicious 2.) Quick & Easy

Lentil Salad

1 TBS Dijon or Whole Grain Mustard
3 TBS Red Wine Vinegar
2 TBS Olive Oil
1 Small Garlic Clove, pressed or minced
3c. Cooked Lentils (I used the pre-cooked ones from Trader Joes. Take the help where you can get it!)
1c. Chopped Carrots
1c. Chopped Cucumber
1/2c. Diced Red Onion
1/4c. Diced Red Bell Pepper
1/4c. Chopped Fresh Dill
Salt & Pepper to Taste

-In a bowl, whisk together mustard, vinegar, olive oil & garlic. Add in remaining ingredients.

-Chill for 30 minutes.

The Skinny
Serving Size 1/2c
Total Fat- 5.5g Carbs- 25.5g Protein- 9.8g Calories- 196.8

Cayenne Pepper & Smoked Salt Salmon

-Cayenne Pepper, to taste people! I like things spicy, you might not.
-Smoked Salt, if you've never tried smoked salt. I recommend it. So good. This I the one I use: http://www.saltworks.us/alderwood-smoked-salt-salish.html#.UjIa3ZDn_VI

-Take a paper towel and dab off the excess moisture. Lightly sprinkle the surface with cayenne pepper.

-In a dry skillet over medium-high heat, cook the salmon skin side down. Typically about 4mins depending on the thickness of your salmon. Turn your salmon over onto the flesh side and finish cooking through, About 3mins.

-When the salmon is done, sprinkle the top with the smoked salt.


2 comments:

  1. I'm going to have to make this,this looks so good and I think my kids will eat it also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really good! Try it and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete