Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Chicken "Tortilla" Soup



Sunday the Hubbs was feeling under the weather so I decided to whip up a tasty soup to make him feel better. It couldn't be more simple, but it was really tasty. You can pretty much put anything in it that you have on hand. I think my cooking worked because come Monday he felt fine!

The tortilla is in quotations because I didn't use any tortillas. Traditional tortilla soup uses corn tortillas to thicken the soup. You can absolutely do this, just add 4 corn tortillas (chopped) to the onion/bell peppers when they are sautéing. I did not because I try to not use much corn products, I used brown rice instead and it was fabulous. Try it both ways, no way, whatever way you like!

Chicken "Tortilla" Soup

Ok, here is the break down. You can either make your soup base from scratch or you can use a quickie version. I like Pacific Naturals Tortilla Soup Base in a pinch. If you use the prepared soup base, skip the instructions on making the base.  
Soup Base-
4c. Chicken Stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder

Soup Ingredients-
1 Onion, diced
1 Red Bell pepper, Diced
1 Can black beans, drained & rinsed
1 c. Cooked Brown Rice (great use for leftovers!)
6 oz Chicken, in chunks (I used pre-cooked from my sunday prep, but it can be raw)
Salt & Pepper to taste

Garnish-
Fresh cilantro
Tortilla Chips
Cheddar Cheese
Sour Cream
Green Onion
Cilantro-Lime Yogurt
Avocado
Lime Juice
Salsa

-In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the onion and bell pepper until just translucent, about 3 minutes. Add in the prepared soup base or the soup base ingredients & chicken. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring to a boil. Once the liquid has come to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 15mins. Add in the brown rice & black beans. Let heat through about another 3mins.

-After the black beans & brown rice have been heated through, serve the soup and top with garnish. I used fresh cilantro, green onion and cilantro-lime yogurt, but its totally up to you!

Serves 4
Serving Size 1.5c

The Skinny
Total Fat- 2.6g Calories- 258 Carbs- 37.3 Protein- 18.7

No comments:

Post a Comment