Monday, September 23, 2013

The Color Run



Do you ever come up with grand ideas but far enough into the future that you think something will change by then? I do. Often. So several months ago, I think sometime around May, I thought it would be a FANTASTIC idea to participate in The Color Run, because I'm *SUCH* a runner. And I mean, it was May, The Color Run took place in September, I for sure would lose 100lbs by then and be able to run a mile in 3 minutes right?!? Right.

Well... The months passed by, and while I have been working on my fitness, I haven't been working on running. I did attempt to run the Sunday before TCR. I thought about it strategically. I would not do a weekday, there would be too many people in the gym. I would do it on a weekend, and when would the best time be? Duh. When the Seahawks are playing the 49ers.  I left the Hubbs at home to watch the game, and I ventured off to my death *cue ominous movie soundtrack* When I arrived at the gym it was empty! SCORE! I carefully chose a treadmill on the back row, farthest against the wall. This is perfect. I can stumble, fumble, and fall and no one will see me! Yay! After figuring out the million buttons on this super fancy treadmill, I started walking. With Drake laying it down in my ears, I was feeling like a champ. I started increasing the speed, really walking with a purpose. My confidence was gaining. I was really going to do this! And then...it happened. Dude gets on the treadmill right next to me! There were at least 20 open around me! And worse, he starts running like he's getting chased by a jaguar in the African tundra! It was all I could do to not push his emergency stop button and ask him what gives. All confidence was sucked out of me. I went and did an hour on the elliptical instead.

Fast forward to September 21st. We had to get up at 5, to make it to Tacoma in time. I didn't want to be up. I didn't want to go run. I don't run! I'm not a runner! This body, is not a running body! And not with a sea of people! UGH! What did I get myself into?!? My only saving grace was the Hubbs was doing it with me, our 13th anniversary celebrated by killing ourselves (...is that some sort of metaphor for our marriage? Doing something you don't want to do that nearly kills you?!?) We arrived at the race, and I of course had to get a pair of pink color run sunglasses. If I am going to die, its going to be in pink. OK?

Then we lined up. They were releasing people in groups. It took forever. People were tossing their color packets all around. Music was blasting. Classic rock...If I'm going to die, its not going to be to classic rock. Just sayin'. Finally it was our turn to start. It was a slow takeoff. We had a nice jogging pace. It wasn't so bad. We were going strong, and then, WHAT.IS.THAT...a freaking steep hill! It was awful. That hill absorbed any and all of my energy. My calves were burning, my side hurt, but alas we could see the first color, Blue. The first K was down. 4 more to go. It wasn't so bad! For the remainder of the race we did intervals of walking and jogging. It was entertaining to people watch while going along. There was a woman being pushed in a wheelchair while smoking a cigarette. She was my favorite. There was a guy running with boxing gloves, I imagine his soundtrack was straight from Rocky. There were serious runners who were definitely gunning for a great time, and there were dedicated walkers. After a few more hills, we finished. It felt good to be done. We did the celebration ceremony and tossed our color packets into the air creating a beautiful cloud of rainbow dust. The only thing that could have made it better is if it was rainbow glitter dust.






Takeaways from The Color Run:
1.) I am not the fattest girl to have completed a 5k
2.) I did not die. I may have wanted to, but I didn't die.
3.) I didn't stop. We jogged/walked without stopping.
4.) The sense of accomplishment could become addicting. I see why these fools sprint through the damn thing.
5.) If you are a really big girl, you shouldn't wear a tutu. It makes you look huge. tutus are fun, they are cute, they are lots of things, but they should not be plus-size.
6.) The color gets everywhere. While it looks fun, the OCD in me didn't have fun getting it off. It was in my ears, stained my toes, and clogged my pores with blue. Not fun.
7.) If I am going to do something that may kill me, I want to do it with my Hubbs.

I already have decided my next 5k. The Ugly Sweater Run. Its in December...just far enough away for me to get stupid enough to do it.

1 comment:

  1. Good job! A lady smoking in a wheelchair doing a 5k, haha!

    ReplyDelete