Monday, September 16, 2013

Coconut & Cashew Crusted Mahi Mahi with Mango Salsa


When the Hubbs was in college I worked at an amazing Peruvian restaurant. It was a life changing experience. I had always thought I wanted to work in the food industry, and I found out pretty quickly there that there was no way in hell I wanted that to be my career. BUT! I did learn great things there and ate amazing food. Thinking about that food, I remembered we did a coconut and macadamia nut crusted halibut (I remember this recipe well because I messed it up one time and got called out for it!). That version contained sugar in the crust mix so that when it was pan seared it created a beautiful golden brown crust. Sugar, is not in my recipe as it is unnecessary. I also bake mine to eliminate the excess oil. Give it a try. I promise, it's amazeballs.

Coconut & Cashew Crusted Mahi Mahi

Crust-
-1/2c. Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
-1/2c. Raw Cashews
-1/2tsp Cumin
-Salt & Pepper

Dredge-
-1 egg white beaten
-1/2c. Flour (whatever kind you want. I used Garbanzo flour because that's what I had)
-The blended crust mix

-4 4oz Mahi Mahi Fillets

-In a food processor add all of the crust ingredients and pulse until it becomes a fine granular mix. Don't over mix this or you will end up with cashew butter! (I know, I've done it!) Add the finished crust mix to a shallow dish (a pie pan works great for this)

-add the beaten egg white to a shallow dish and the flour to a separate shallow dish.

-Take your fish fillet and first dredge it completely in the flour (don't skip this step! The flour takes away the surface moisture of the fish so that the egg will stick, and your crust wont adhere to the fish without the egg!) then immediately dredge the fillet in the egg and then crust it with the coconut/cashew mix. Press the crust into the fillet so that it sticks. Repeat with the rest of the fillets.

-Bake the fillets on a parchment (or silpat) lined baking sheet at 400 degrees for about 15mins (give or take depending on the thickness of your fish). Top with Mango Salsa & Serve.

Servings 4
Serving Size 1 4oz Fish Fillet

The Skinny
Total Fat- 10g Calories- 330 Carbs- 4g Protein- 25g

Mango Salsa

-1 Mango, peeled & diced
-1/2 red onion diced
-1/4c. Cilantro, chopped
-1/2 Jalepeno, seeded & diced
-Juice of 1 lime, squeezed

-Mix all ingredients together

Servings 4
Serving Size 1/4c

The Skinny
Total Fat- 0.5g Calories- 86 Carb-s 22g Protein- 1g

No comments:

Post a Comment