Saturday, August 10, 2013

Brown Rice, Very Nice


I think brown rice gets a bad wrap becuase often times it is poorly cooked. When cooked properly, brown rice is super delicious. The best part? It is so easy to make. I don't know about you, but when I get off of work at 7pm I don't have time to wait 60 mins for my rice to get done cooking. I'm a fat girl, I need to eat NOW! So, I make a large batch of brown rice at the beginning of the week and store it in the fridge. It reheats beautifully and is a huge time saver!

No-Fail Brown Rice

-2c. Brown Jasmine Rice
-4c. Water
-Pinch of salt

-In a pot with a tight fitting lid add the brown rice, water, and pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, then cover with a lid and drop the heat down to a simmer. DO NOT PEEK! Let the rice simmer for 50mins. When the 50mins is up, turn the heat off and let the brown rice steam for an additional 10mins.

The result is soft, slightly chewy, full flavor brown rice.

I often throw in some chunks of fresh ginger, garlic, lemon peel, and various other aromatics before bringing to a boil. This infuses the flavor into the rice and turns something ordinary into something special without added fat, salt, and sugar!

No comments:

Post a Comment