Sunday, August 18, 2013

Spice Spice Baby...


Sunday brunch with the Hubbs is probably my favorite weekend tradition. We get to sleep in, he makes the coffee, I make the food and we just have a slow start to our day. Today, I started out with the usual onion/mushroom/bell pepper sauté that most of my egg scramble/omelets start with, but then I started craving something spicy. Spicy, eggs, veggies...hmm...breakfast burrito? Yummy, but not really feeling it. Salsa omelet? eh...love them, but nah. Then it hit me, a spicy veggie breakfast hash. I grabbed a sweet potato, diced it and threw it in the mix (I really should have pre-thought about this, as the onion and mushroom were pretty well cooked and I tossed raw potato in. Not my brightest moment, but I put a lid on it and it steamed nicely) The end result was smoky, spicy, slightly sweet, just a perfect brunch meal before starting our Sunday errands. Change the veggies and spices to your liking, but definitely give this dish a try!

Spicy Veggie Hash with Scrambled Eggies

-1 yellow onion, diced
-1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
-1c. Sliced Mushrooms
-1 Zucchini, chopped
-1 Small Sweet Potato, diced
-2c. Spinach
-1/2 tsp Salt
-1/2 tsp Cumin
-1/2 tsp Chili Powder
-1/4 tsp Pepper
-1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
-4 Egg Whites
-2 Whole Eggs
-2 Green Onions, chopped
-2 TBS Cilantro, chopped & divided in half
-1 1/2 tsp Olive Oil, divided

-In a non-stick skilled over medium heat, add 1 tsp olive oil. Once pan has gotten to temp, add in the diced sweet potato. Cook until the potato starts to get tender, about 5 mins. Add in the onion, bell pepper & mushrooms. Cook until the veggies are tender, about another 5-7 minutes. Add in zucchini.

-To the veggie mixture, add in the seasonings (side note, I never measure my spices, I dump a little and taste as I go. This is my best guess as to what I use. Taste as you go and adjust to your liking), stir.

-Place the spinach on top of the veggie mix, but don't stir in. Put a lid on it and turn the heat off. This will allow the spinach to gently steam, and remain a beautiful green color.

-In a separate non-stick skillet over medium-low heat, add the remaining 1/2 tsp of oil. While the pan is heating up, in a small bowl, beat the whole eggs and egg whites. Add to the pan. Season lightly with salt. Scramble the eggies & add in about 1/2 of the chopped green onion. Cook until the eggs are set.

-Uncover the veggie mix and stir to combine the spinach.

-Serve up the veggie hash, then top with the scrambled eggies & sprinkle with remaining green onion & cilantro.

You can serve this with some sliced avocado, fresh salsa, sprinkled with a little cheese, whatever floats your boat.

Makes 2 big servings

The skinny (per serving)
Total Fat: 9.2g Calories: 276.3 Carbs: 34.1 Protein: 18.6


No comments:

Post a Comment